Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Alexia Chamberlynn's Current Query


I don't often get to do this, but today I'm sharing a query from a writer I've actually met. Alexia and I had a wonderful conversation over lots of wine on the Saturday night at WFC 2011 in San Diego last year. She is a lovely person (that's her standing to my right, your left). You may recognize some of these other gorgeous ladies, too.

Anyway, today I want to introduce you to Alexia Chamberlynn, whose blog you simply must go follow. Seriously. Go follow it. She wrote more about WFC, here.

Back? Excellent.

Here is Alexia's current query letter:

Zyan Star is completely content with her undead existence as a witch/vampire bartender and bounty hunter. When you’re eternally damned, there’s nothing to lose, right?

So when angelic warrior Eli offers her a job protecting Earth’s Holy Representative from a vamp assassin, Zy turns him down faster than you can say cherub. Even if he is a tasty morsel of pure deliciousness that her best friends, a witch and a gay werewolf, think she’s crazy to ignore. But when she finds out the vamp hired to assassinate the HR is the very same undead dirtbag who drained her blood, broke her heart, and left her to contemplate how much of a dumbass she is for all eternity – well, that changes things.

Fueled by revenge, Zy will stop at nothing to prevent her ex from accomplishing his mission. But as she moves deeper into the web of intrigue surrounding the HR, she realizes there’s a lot more at stake than her plot for revenge. Like the free will of mankind and preventing the minions of hell from taking over the sovereign dimensions.

NOIR is an 80,000 word urban fantasy. I appreciate your time and consideration.

That's it.

If you've been here for one of these before, you know that today is just for introductions. I will share my feedback for Alexia with all of you tomorrow, so please save yours for then as well. It's great to get to see the query without any red first.

For now please just say hello and thank Alexia for her courage. Also, have a great Tuesday!

29 comments:

alexia said...

Matt, thanks so much for having me on your blog and for the lovely introduction!!

I'm excited to get feedback on my query before I climb down into the query trenches... first time with this book, second time overall. Nice to meet everyone! I echo Matt's Happy Tuesday!

Karen Baldwin said...

This query is intriguing, and I'm heading over to her blog now. Great photo, btw.

Talli Roland said...

Wow, love the premise! :)

B.E. Sanderson said...

Great query, Alexia. Way to go. And I'm proud of you for letting Matt put it out there. =o)

S.A. Larsenッ said...

Oh, this sounds like my sort of swank. Can't wait to see where this goes!

Suzie F. said...

Great query, Alexia! I love the title.

farawayeyes said...

OK, you got me.

Nice to meet you Alexia. Thanks for putting yourself out there, so we all can learn.

Tonja said...

Writing queries is terrifying - wonderful that you shared yours.

Slamdunk said...

Sounds like Alexia's is a good one to discuss.

Enjoy your day Matthew.

Scarlett said...

New follower! Of Yours and Alexia's~ So incredibly psyched I found both!

Love! On a Tuesday.

Rachna Chhabria said...

Hi Matthew and Alexia. Alexia is indeed very brave, I would have had sleepless nights if I had to put myself and my query out there. Looking forward to tomorrow's post, Matthew.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Cool you got to meet her!

Nicole Zoltack said...

Oh, I love the premise. And there's so much voice too.

Jenny S. Morris said...

Will be back tomorrow.

Kerri Cuev said...

Sounds fantastic and the query has some spunk! Hi Alexia *waves*

Colene Murphy said...

Sounds awesome!! I would read that in a heartbeat.

Brinda said...

I look forward to reading tomorrow! Also, it's nice to see pics of you guys. It sounds like the WFC was a success.

Marta Szemik said...

Thanks for sharing the query. I can't believe you traveled across the country for the WFC! I'm thinking of going to Toronto this year (since it's 1 hour drive from me).

Jamie Gibbs said...

I like the query - it's got lots of sass. Can't wait to see the critique!

Brenda Drake said...

Great premise. Can't wait to see the critique!

Unknown said...

Awesome premise and I love the language. Good luck with this, Alexia.

Christina Lee said...

Ooh, I like the snark!!!!

Nancy Thompson said...

I'm already a follower. The story is definitely intriguing. And oh, that voice! How positively wonderful!! Be back tomorrow.

Deana said...

I love Alexia! I can't wait to see what goes on with the query:)

DL Hammons said...

The letter is dripping with voice! Good luck Alexia! :)

Michael Offutt, Phantom Reader said...

Hello hello. Reading your query makes me think of SyFy's premiere of Lost Girl last night.

ShaunaKelleyWrites said...

I agree with DL, the voice pours through this letter and it sounds like an intrigue read.

Jessica Salyer said...

Sounds interesting. Can't wait to see the comments tomorrow!

Brinda said...

I liked the snark and do agree that the job description (witch/vampire bartender and bounty hunter) went in too many directions.